A monthly timesheet template provides a simple time tracking solution for new businesses. There is no need to make your own timesheet and learn new time-tracking software. Simply download and customize our free monthly timesheet for Excel.
The timesheet template is ideal for companies that need to report hours worked, but don’t need to report clock in/out times. If you want your employees to use printable time sheets, our templates can modify easily for printing blank forms.
How to Use a Monthly Timesheet
- Customize template with your company, employee, and pay rate information
- Print, email or share files with your employees
- Have the employees fill out the timesheet on daily basis and submit weekly or biweekly
- Develop a procedure for reporting completed timesheets
- [h]:mm vs. Decimal Formats: Each templates contains a separate worksheet tab for entering times using either h:mm or decimal format.
- The h:mm time format is the simple for employee to use because most people think of time in hours and minutes. If you allow employees to enter times rounded to minute or 5 minutes, use the h:mm format.
- The decimal hour format works fine if you are rounding to nearest 15 minutes.
- Update Company Information: After deciding what time format to use, update Company information, and customize the timesheet as needed. If you don’t need the signature lines, you may delete those rows.
- Overtime Hours: You can assign separate pay rate for regular hours and overtime hours. You may want to add custom notes to timesheet to explain policies for overtime, vacation.
- Optional Rate & Pay Information: If you only need to keep track for hours, or if you are using printed blank timesheets, you can delete the rows that contain the rate and pay information.
- Ink-Friendly Design: If you are concerned about using too much colored ink when printing regularly, you can remove the background colors and change font colors to black.
How to use the Timesheet Template as an Online Solution
- Place the timesheet template in a privately shared network location.
- Share file with your employee
- Have employee update the spreadsheet throughout the week
- Save a printed copy of completed time sheets
For Employers/Managers: The system you use to report and record the hours is upon you. It could involve printing a copy of spreadsheet or having the employee export a copy of the completed document and email it to you. That is the signal to the employee that the document is ready to be updated for the next pay period.