A weekly employee timesheet template provides a simple and free time tracking solution for new businesses. There is no need to make your own timesheet or install and learn new time-tracking software. You can also create an effective online time sheet solution by privately sharing a timesheet with your employees.
QuickBooks weekly timesheet for employee
Excel weekly timesheets for multiple employees
This weekly timesheet lets you enter times in format or decimal format (a separate worksheet for each option). You can enter your pay rates to calculate the total pay.
How to Use a Timesheet Template
- Customize this template with your company, employee, and pay rate information
- Print, email or send the file with your employees
- Have the employees fill the timesheet on a daily basis and submit weekly or biweekly
- Develop a procedure for reporting and recording complete timesheets.
Customizing the Timesheet
- Biweekly Timesheet
- h:mm vs. Decimal Formats: Each templates contains a separate worksheet tab for entering times using either h:mm or decimal format.
- The h:mm time format is simple for the employee to use because most people calculate time in hours and minutes. If you allow employees to enter time rounded to the minute or 5 minutes, use this format.
- The decimal hour format works fine if you are rounding to the nearest 15 minutes. For example, 30 minutes can be writeen as 0.5, and 45 minutes is entered as 0.75.
- Update Company Information: After deciding which time format to use, update the information, and customize the timesheet as per requirement. If you don’t need signature lines, you can delete those rows.
- Overtime Hours: You may assign a separate pay rate for regular hours and overtime hours. You still can add custom notes to the timesheet to explain policies for overtime, vacation, etc. You can do this by adding notes to the column labels, or putting the information into the sidebar.
- Optional Rate & Pay Information: If you need to keep track of hours, or if you are using printed blank timesheets, you can delete the rows that contain the rate and pay information.
- Ink-Friendly Design: If you are cautious about using too much colored ink when printing timesheets regularly. You can remove the background colors and change the font colors to black.
Printed vs electronic methods for time tracking
You can easily print this timesheet for employees to fill out by hand. But you can also used as an electronic timesheet. An electronic timesheet is a time tracking solution that uses software to track and report time. If card-swipe time clocks are not used, an employee can log into a website to enter their time.
The main advantages of using an electronic for time tracking are:
1) timesheets can easily access by both the employer and employee,
2) the electronic timesheet handles all the time and pay calculations,
3) employees may work remotely,
4) the payroll process is streamlined.