In some situations, you may need a specific format of receipt, However, if you send a person or a business an invoice and they request for a receipt, then you can often slap a big “PAID” note across the original invoice and send a copy to them.
If you are using invoice template, you can also change the header to say “Receipt” instead of “Invoice.” Our simple receipt template below provides a visual example of how it can be done. We basically took our simple invoice template, included a “Paid” watermark image, and update the header.
Simple Receipt Format
This template shows an example of how it is created from an invoice by adding a “Paid” watermark image and updating the header to make Receipt instead of Invoice.
To create your own templates from an existing invoice, you can either create your own image for the “Paid” watermark, or you can go ahead and download template and copy the text box in your invoice to use when you need it.
This template is a simple and easy way to send professional-looking receipts to clients after they’ve paid you. Simply download Excel file and fill out the customizable fields. Then you’re ready to email or print.
Simple official receipt template
Some recommend using Excel instead, because it has automatic formulas. Excel makes it quite easy to add up your total and measure taxes. You can set up a table with items and quantities with less effort.
Here are some of the added benefits of using Invoice Simple:
- Professionally layout
- Full customizable
- Clients and items are automatically saved for future
- Simple book keeping for tax season
Specialized Invoice receipt template
- Rent: If you’re giving a slip to a tenant you will need to use a specialized template. For example you usually only have one item to bill for, so a long table may not be appropriate. To help out, we’ve created a slips that are specifically tailored for rental properties.
- Cash Template: Similar to the rental template, this will only contain one item. This is used when you ask for cash from someone, typically as a deposit for some item.
- Donation: I would say this is a subtype of the cash receipt, except that it may include additional info that you’d need to deduct donations from your taxes. Useful for getting a bigger tax return while also helping those in need.
Invoice vs Receipt: What’s the Difference?
The main difference in an invoice vs. receipt is the timing. An invoice is issued after services or products are rendered but before payment is made. A receipt is issued — largely with the same information — after payment has been made. A documents for both the buyer and the seller that the transaction is complete.